Monday, April 2, 2012

CPA exam - 1 down and 3 more to go

I had my first experience with the CPA exam today.  I was trying to go to bed 10pm yesterday, but I just couldn't sleep last night.  I kept tossing and turning thinking about beta, conversion costs, Sarbanes-Oxley.  What a nightmare!


I got up this morning at 7am for my 8:30am test.  My wife made me some delicious cinnamon bread toast and I had a couple gummy vitamins.  I picked up my corporate governance section of the study materials and started memorizing the COSO model.  What is the COSO model?  I have no idea...I already did a memory dump about an hour ago.



One of my hobbies that I have is learning about survival.  I purchased a hardcover Hawke's Green Beret Survival Manual a while back.  I just looked at the price on Amazon and it is selling new for $249.99.  Wow, that is crazy!


Anyways...something that Mykel Hawke wrote about was finding God in a survival situation.  He wrote that whether you believe in God or not...you will find him if you enter into a true survival situation.  If you'd like to experience this feeling, or are on a quest to find God...then take the CPA exam.


The exam has four testlets...which is a word unrecognized by spell check.  I took the BEC or business concepts part of the exam.  This comprised of 24 multiple choice questions for the first three testlets.  Oh, and out of those 72 questions they only count 60 of them.  The final testlet has 3 written communications in which 1 is not graded.  You are allowed 3 hours on the exam.  Although this is the 21st century and you'd think that the test would be graded immediately like all other standardized tests I've taken...you'd be mistaken.  I am currently in CPA purgatory and will be in here for about one month.  In the meantime I will be studying for my next section Regulation.  However, I will not start studying until tomorrow...I need a break.


The test did get progressively more difficult as I went through each testlet.  This is a good thing since the exam gives more points for difficult questions.  I never really liked taking tests, and this experience was no different.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.