Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Health - Dieting

It is that time of the year again...the winter slumber is over.  Time to do something about all of that winter weight accumulated.  I'm glad that I haven't accumulated as much weight as I thought I had.  I finally weighed myself for the first time in months.  The results?  203.8 pounds.  I was expecting around 210.


I have never weighed so much in my life.  It is rather depressing.  The thought of losing weight and the struggles that will face me isn't something exciting to me.  What is exciting is me becoming healthy again.  It seems like I have been getting sick every 6 months or so.  Perhaps it has to do with my school age children.  Perhaps it has to do with my poor diet.  Regardless...it is time to do something about this problem.


When I was in the Army we had a guy in our platoon that was overweight.  He struggled to do PT unlike the rest of us.  I felt bad for him, and wondered what it would feel like to be in that condition.  I do not have to wonder anymore.  I'm that guy...and it feels awful.  I think his problem was that he wasn't very active with the exception of morning PT 5 days a week.  I think his main problem was he drank a lot of alcohol.  He would show up hung over every Monday for PT.  I'm not sure why he hated himself so much.  That can be the only reason why someone would do that to themselves each and every weekend.


One thing is for sure...I am not meeting Army standards for weight or physical fitness.  When I was in the Army stationed in South Korea, I met the physical fitness of excellence by scoring 90 or greater in each category of pushes, situps, and two mile run.  My best scores were 64 pushups, 74 situps, and ran 2mi in 13:15.  

Then in May of 2000 something terrible happened.  I had a massive ear infection that eventually caused me to have 3 surgeries on my ear.  It was a very scary time in my life, not knowing whether or not I'd be able to hear again in my right ear.  Each surgery took 4-6 hours.  Although much of my hearing has been restored, I still experience occasional dizziness, and tinnitus (ringing of the ear). 


My goal for the end of the May is to lose 8 pounds.  Going from 204 to 196.  This seems like an obtainable goal that I can meet.  My second objective is to eventually pass the Army PT test.  While my ultimate goal would be to meet both Army requirements for height/weight, and minimum standard for physical fitness and maintain these standards for the rest of my life.  This means I need to meet that following goals.





Height - 70" (I grew another half inch since this record)
Weight - 189 (current 204)
Pushups - 46 (current 15)
Situps - 51 (current 40)
2mi Run - 16:36 (current unknown)


Dieting has many obstacles that will prevent you from obtaining goals.  Some people encounter them more than others.  Friends, family, co-workers and marketing from unhealthy food companies can contribute to whether you succeed or not.  Getting sick or injured can set you back as well.  I would hope that friends, family, and your co-workers would be on your side to help you lose weight.  However, this is not always the case.  Some people get energized by bringing people down.


Dieting is a test of willpower, and it is a huge hurtle to climb depending on where you are starting.  I have made massive mistakes to allow myself to get to this point...but no more.  It's time to get back in shape.  It's time to become Army Strong again.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you'll still take the Submarine House challenge next year. It's hard to pass up a free sub!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the challenge is still available then I will accept it. After all, it is a sub therefore it has to be healthy right?

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.