Saturday, April 28, 2012

Keeping life simple

Whether Military or Civilian...many of us are constantly on the move.  As a military member you are required to move typically every three or four years.  This can be a stressful time in your life.  I've probably moved about 15 times in my life, and I'm in my early 30s.


Every time that I have moved I lost money.  I had to either sell things, give stuff away, or something breaks by the time it gets to my new location.  Fortunately for military members the government helps make moving as easy as possible.  Not to say moving is easy, but from my experience, I think the government does a pretty decent job.


This brings me to keeping life simple.  If you've ever watched TV shows like Pawn Stars, or American Pickers...you should realize that Americans have lots of junk.  Some of it is worth money, however many times it is next to valueless.  I find it amazing how many self-storage facilities exist these days.  I cannot even remember self-storage places growing up...and now they seem to be one every couple miles.


This reminds me of a really funny cartoon that the good folks at JibJab.com created.  You can watch the cartoon below.




I hope you get the point.  We do not need all of this stuff.  Marketing does an amazing job in making you feel like you need to buy all of this stuff.  This is one of the reasons why I have a book on the psychology of persuasion as one of the recommended books.  Hopefully this won't happen to you.


Since you will be moving, try to think a little further down the road to determine whether or not you actually will need whatever you are buying, and if it will be a hassle once it is time to move (think...outdoor grill or extra car when you already have one per driver).

If your next assignment is overseas...you'll probably have to put those types of items in storage or sell them.  You can always use a grill at the local park.  Some people purchased vehicles when I was in South Korea in Seoul.  This didn't make any sense to me because public transportation or your two feet work wonders.  Making purchases like these adds up real quick.  A great technique that I sometimes use is if I want to buy something...I walk away, or perhaps go home.  If I still want the item tomorrow, then I'll buy it.  Typically after thinking about what I was going to buy I realized it wasn't a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.