Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Money - Side Job

Having a second job is a great way to get out of several financial problems. Having a side job can be beneficial in a several different ways.  First and most obvious, it can give you additional cash flow.  The second and perhaps less obvious is that a side job can help you learn new skills.  Third, and perhaps most important...is networking.

When I worked at Reynolds and Reynolds as a recruiter, I took on a second job as a jewelry sales associate.  It was a part time job that I worked in the evenings and on the weekends.  I didn't make very much money, but it was enjoyable work. The experience that I had was quite good.  I learned more about sales, jewelry, business, earned some money, and I made some new friends.
Two of the friends I made are Matt Breunig and his wife Tyler.  Both who worked at Rogers Jewelers with me.
Shop Matt Breuing
Matt is the first and only jeweler I have ever worked with. He has his jeweler’s certification from Texas Institute, and is a certified Gemologist.  Matt also has a degree in Advanced Stone Setting.  Matt has worked on a few items for me and my wife as well.

Upcycled, Steampunk pendant with ruby

It isn't easy being a jeweler.  I do not believe I have seen Matt without dirt or grim of some kind under his fingernails.  Being a jeweler definitely isn't one of the safer jobs, working with fire, and extremely hot metals.  Matt was very helpful in helping the sales staff with any technical questions regarding jewelry.  Because of his skill I am glad that Matt has started his own jewelry business.

Much of Matt's current work consists of some recycled materials or upcycle.  Rather than recycle, which is what I do, upcycle takes a product that people do not want, and creates something that people do want.  It is another example of turning trash into treasure.

Matt working hard on a piece of jewelry

Working two or three jobs is something very American.  Many stories have been told about people who worked several jobs in order to make it.   There is no shame in working to feed your family.  My wife's grandmother had five kids and lived without a home for 7 years after a house fire.  They lived under what my wife described as a gazebo that you might find at a park with picnic tables under it.  There wasn't any such thing as house insurance.  Through her sacrifice, dedication, stubbornness and never quit attitude the family was able to thrive.  However, it took many years to get back on track.

Hopefully, such circumstances never befall on you. However, if hard times do arise, you can typically rely on hard work to overcome most obstacles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.