Thursday, April 26, 2012

Striving to be popular restricts having fun

The race for the president has to be one of the most stressful events that America faces every 4 years.  Stress for the candidates, staff, and American citizens all hoping that their candidate will be chosen.  With the exception of American Idol, the race for the presidency is one of the most voted events when it comes to a popularity contest.


I'm here to tell you that trying to become popular restricts you from having fun.  It can prevent you from being yourself, and this isn't something that you should do.  Most people can tell if you are being fake (one of the reasons most politicians probably aren't trusted).


There was a song that I used to listen to back in high school called "Popular" by Nada Surf.  It is song about high school and being popular, and had some good advice like washing your hair at least once every two weeks.  Being popular is really quite easy, but it can be rather stressful.  Eventually, you start to feel like you are walking on eggshells.  The trick to being popular is having diverse interests, listening, spending time with multiple groups of people, not being a jerk, but standing up for yourself.  No one likes a pushover either.


Popularity contests typically die after high school.  Some people engage in office politics, and I suppose they have some merits, but I'd rather have a good time.  At one of my going away luncheons I decided that I would sing for my co-workers.  Typically these luncheons consist of going to a restaurant, eating, having a supervisor say a few words about how great you were (whether true or not) and how much you will be missed.  You might say thanks for everything.  Food and drink is consumed, and then you leave.  Not what I would call a party of any sort.



Every party needs music!  I realize that I am not the best singer in the world.  I was quite nervous since this was the first time singing in front of a live audience since high school.  I emphasized on "don't you" to much.  This is why dry runs or rehearsals are important.  However, if I sang it again...I would do much better.

I have learned that most songs today are created by people who sing tenor.  I am a baritone, and do not have the voice nor range as I did in high school.  One of the worst things about getting old is losing many of the physical talents I used to be able to do.

Life is too short to not have fun.  I enjoyed singing, and if you watched til the end people had a good time as well.  I will begin to write a few articles here and there about creating your own fun.  You see...I feel with the invention of the TV, many people are living through others.  I think it is fine to watch a movie or watch a sports game every now and then, even follow a particular team.

If you have kids...help coach or become an assistant coach.  Be involved with your kids development.  If you are young...then don't watch people play a sport...get out there and get a game together.  Have you ever made your own movie or TV show?  Talk about learning some new skills!  You could even make money doing that stuff on YouTube.


If you aren't very good at something...does it really matter?  Find someone who is good at what you enjoy doing.  Having a good time, learning something, or making new friends can help you in many ways.  Sitting watching someone else live their life won't help you in yours.  So go on...get out there and do something!

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.