Monday, April 9, 2012

Respect - past financial mistakes

Let's face it...everyone has made a mistake once in their life.  Whether it is something as insignificant as spelling a word wrong, to making a bad first impression, to losing millions of dollars in the stock market.  Mistakes happen...and is part of the life experience.

Blueberry bush


One mistake that you can prevent is bringing up past financial mistakes.  I don't know about you, but nothing irritates me more than someone bringing up a past financial mistake that I made.  I've made plenty...most people have.  I will write about the many mistakes I have made in the stock market, get rich quick schemes, real estate purchases and more in other articles.

I'm the first to admit that I am not the best at explaining things in detail.  My personality trait is an ENTJ.  Attention to detail is not my strong suit.  If you haven't taken a personality test, I suggest you do this.  Knowing more about yourself and learning about your strengths and weaknesses can help you tremendously.

Because of my wiring, I rely a lot on my gut feeling.  Explaining why I think something is good or bad...well, you'll have to ask someone else.  I struggle with this everyday.  I do try my best, but it isn't easy for me.  I'm not always right, which has lead me to some bad financial decisions when I was younger.  Had I listened to my wife or others, it would have saved me a lot of money.

Like I said before, nothing irritates me more than bringing up past financial blunders.  This especially happens during an argument of some sort.  This is not cool for many reasons.  First of all, taking a risk is something that people do all the time.  My wife took a huge risk in coming to America to marry me.  I could have turned out to be a horrible person (My wife may say this is still TBD). Any time you date someone you are taking a risk.  The risk of having someone break your heart is worth taking.  If you do not take any risks then you cannot move forward. 

Taking a risk can be something as simple as buying a blueberry bush that doesn't produce blueberries.  I have read quite a bit about blueberries, and I feel that in my area they just aren't economical to produce.  Blueberries like well drained acidic soil, and the soil that I have is clay and alkaline.  Rather than changing the soil and spending time and effort, I have decided to no longer maintain the plant.  Plus animals like to eat the branches, and several other plants are better suited for my backyard.

Financial risk could be something much more financially serious as to buying a new Lexus, and getting in a wreck without car insurance (thankfully this hasn't happened to me).  I hope you get the point.  Much like you shouldn't tell your spouse that they are overweight.  Dwelling on the past doesn't solve anything, except make matters worse.  We can't change it, put it to rest.  There are many horrible things humans have done in the past.  All that really matters is today and our plans for the future.  Like a good customer service representative...if you call about a problem, you say, I'm sorry let me see what we can do to make things better.  A lousy customer service rep would say...so, what do you want me to do about it?

When faced with a problem talk about concerns that you may have and what may hold you back.  But, if someone tells you that they don't want to do something, respect it.  Especially when it comes to taking a risk with money.  Everything doesn't need a through investigation as to why someone doesn't want to risk their money, or spend additional money on a sunk cost.  Finally...if you tick someone off, say you are sorry, and give them some space.  Let them sleep on it, but do follow up with them.  Make certain the person knows you want to make things right.  Buying someone lunch after making a disrespectful blunder goes a long way.

4 comments:

  1. I believe I have a free lunch coming... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if the blunder was not paying for lunch/dinner to begin with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologize and tell them you want to make it right. How do you make it right? Simple...give the person the cash and pay for the next dinner/lunch. Regardless of whether the person accepts the apology or not, at least you know you did the right thing.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.