Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day

Memorial Day is a day to remember America's fallen soldiers.  Originally Memorial Day was Decoration Day to remember the fallen soldiers during the Civil War.  Basically it is a time of remembrance, the start of summer (pools open), and retailers usually have some form of sales to get people to buy stuff.


My family spent most of our day painting a rental property after a tenant moved out.  Spent all weekend painting and cleaning.  We never seem to have time for a vacation.

Before joining the Army I never really thought much about many of the holidays we have in this country.  I did appreciate any holiday we did have since I didn't have to go to school.  I did typically work on most holidays in my younger years working retail or fast food.  During those days...it was just another day of work.

Today...holidays like Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day means much more to me.  I appreciate the history of our country much more, as well as, the men and women who helped make this country great.

Everyone will do something different this Memorial Day weekend.  Some people who have lost loved ones will more than likely spend it differently then those who haven't.  However, everyone can take some time to remember and thank the people who died fighting for our freedom.

Although the day is almost over...I am glad to have been born in America.  We are a truly blessed nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.