Saturday, June 16, 2012

Saving money - Do it yourself home repair

A few days ago I needed to change out the bathroom fan that was no longer operating.  I purchased the new fan and went to see if I could replace the old fan.  This is something that I have never done before.  However, by knowing your limitations you can at least see if it is possible to complete.

It was possible.  The fan box that I purchased was a direct fit.  All I needed to do was take out the old and put in the new.  The tenant was very happy...I was happy that I didn't have to pay someone $100 to install.  It took me one hour to complete.

Typically when I think about doing home repair or car repair, I look and see if I have the tools needed to do the job.  In the age of the Internet...you can practically learn how to do anything by watching a video on YouTube.  Something I find fascinating is how many people look down on blue collar workers, but if something as simple as a light bulb burns out they call them right up to fix the problem.

I know a lot of people might say they do not have time to learn how fix things.  I'm just curious what you do have time for.  I can understand if you want to pay someone to fix a ceiling fan if you work 60-80 hour per week.  However, when you get home and spend an hour watching TV when you could be fixing the ceiling fan...seems like a waste of time to me.

The hardest part about doing home repairs or any repairs is troubleshooting the problem.  Fixing something is easy, troubleshooting is the hard part.  I'm certain you've all had an experience taking your car into a mechanic to fix the brakes, and the next thing you know the suspension is going bad, or if you fix the spark plugs, the fuel injectors aren't working right.  Many times fixing one problem can create another problem.  It can be very frustrating.  This doesn't mean you should give up however.  Given enough time, I'm certain that doing your own home remodel/repair will pay big dividends down the road.  At least they have for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.